Data published by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) shows there continues to be an increase in the number of nurses and midwives leaving its register over the last 12 months.
Overall, the number of nurses and midwives on the register has started to drop for the first time in a decade:
- There were just under 690,000 nurses and midwives registered to work in the UK in September – over 1,600 less than there were the year before
- The register showed just over 36,200 EU nurses and midwives – over 2,700 less than a year before
- Over the last 12 months the number of UK graduates leaving the profession has increased by 9%
- The number of nurses and midwives from Europe leaving the register has also increased by 67%
- The number joining the register from the EU has dropped from 10,178 last year to 1,107 this year, a decrease of 89%
The NMC Register can be viewed here